See & Do
Boat Ramps are located at Rocky Point and Evans Landing. For boat hire or fishing tours contact the following:
- Weipa Boat Hire, Weipa Camping Grounds – P: (07) 4069 7871
- Weipa Houseboats – P: (07) 4069 7469
- Weipa Fishing Adventures – P: (07) 4069 9400
- All Fed Up Gone Fishing – P: 0427 968 333
- Eclipse Charters – P: (07) 4069 9978
- Fish’s Fly & Sport Fishing – P: (07) 4069 9957
Fishing supplies and boat repairs:
- Weipa 4WD Fishing & Camping Supplies – P: (07) 4069 7877
- Weipa Newsagency & Sports Store – P: (07) 4069 7235
- Weipa Auto and Marine – P: (07) 4069 8058
Bird Watching & Nature Walks
The Weipa Bicentennial Community Committee and volunteers, with the full support of the Napranum Council and Rio Tinto Alcan Ltd, have developed the Uningan Nature Reserve.
The reserve covers an area of over 2,800 hectares and includes habitats such as open woodland, palm forests and mangroves.
Nine kilometres of walking tracks have been marked and several footbridges constructed over creeks in the area.
Data has been gathered on the flora, fauna and Aboriginal knowledge of the area. Features such as the large shell mounds (middens) and canoe trees have been signposted.
For a list of bird species that can be sighted in and around Weipa, click here.
Sport & Recreation
For a list of Sporting and Recreation facilities in Weipa click here.
Parks & Gardens
For a list of Parks and Gardens in Weipa, click here.
Sponsors of the event who offer meals/dining are :
- Weipa Bowls Club – P: (07) 4069 7300
- Weipa Golf Club – P: (07) 4069 7850
When setting out on a Cape York adventure please remember that various places on the Cape are classed as Traditional Aboriginal Land, Mining Lease, Pastoral Lease or National Park land permission or permits may be required before camping in some areas.
Please respect local access rules and the rights of Traditional Owners and Property Leasees. Camping areas may be closed from time to time due to traditional ceremonies, therefore, you should check with the issuer of the permit before going camping.
Permits and information on areas surrounding Weipa can be obtained from the following:
- Aurukun Shire Council – P: (07) 4060 6800
- Napranum Council – P: (07) 4069 7855
- Mapoon Aboriginal Council – P: (07) 4090 9124